What is Pilates?
Developed by Joseph H. Pilates in the 1920s, Pilates is a system of exercise that targets the deep muscles of the abdomen and spine to strengthen your body from the inside out.
Pilates is highly effective in helping to tone muscles and achieve a longer, leaner look, without creating bulk. Instead of only targeting the "vanity muscles" that you see when looking in the mirror, Pilates exercises also strengthen the postural muscles--the internal, stabilizing muscles of the body--to improve posture, balance and core strength. This is acheived through a unique series of vigorous physical exercises that help to correct muscular imbalances in order to improve posture, coordination, balance, strength, and flexibility, while increasing breathing capacity and organ function.
What is the difference between Pilates and Yoga?
Although commonly viewed as similar methods of exercise, PIlates and yoga are different disciplines. While in the same family, these exercises are better described as cousins, rather than siblings. Although they are related, the relationship is distant. :)
I prefer an intense cardio workout to burn calories. How can I benefit from Pilates?
By focusing attention on core strength, proper alignment, balanced muscle development, and full body fitness, Pilates creates a strong foundation for any kind of movement and is the perfect choice for cross training. Both athletes and fitness enthusiasts can reap the benefits of incorporating PIlates into their fitness program:
- build stamina (run faster, swim longer)
- increase strength and flexibility (jump higher, hit a ball farther)
- improve posture (smoother golf swing)
- improve balance and coordination
- All sessions are by appointment only and require cancellation 24-hours in advance to avoid being charged for a missed appointment.
- There is a 6-month expiration period on all packages and gift certificates.
- All class punchcards (pilates + barre) expire 6 months from date of purchase.
- All clients must sign and submit a liability release prior to their first session.
- All equipment is wiped down after each use.
- We accept cash, check and most major credit cards.